"What do you mean talk about sex? I already explained the birds and the bees! Aren't my kids too young? What will I say? HELP!"
It's not always easy to talk about sensitive topics like sexuality and relationships, but it is always important. Luckily, there are a lot of resources out there to help you find the information and support your needs. Your family depends on you for information about your beliefs, values and expectations related to sexuality and their decision-making. Research shows that young people who feel connected to their family and clearly understand their family's values concerning sexuality are more likely to avoid risk-taking behaviors, like early sexual activity.
So take time today to think about what messages you want to share with the children in your life. Create an open environment to share your thoughts and listen to theirs. Use the resources below if you (or your child) need more information and remember, START TALKING TODAY!
- It's That Easy! A Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
- United Way 2-1-1 - You can dial 211 for community services in your area.
- MN STD and Family Planning Hotline: 1-800-78-FACTS
- Adolescent Parent Programs
- Advocates For Youth - Parent Ed. Center
- CFOC Parent Resource Center
- It's Your Sex Life
- MN Department of Health - Adolescent Health Care - Resources for Parents
- National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy
- Plain Talk/Hablando Claro
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Talking with Kids
- The Sexuality Information and Education Council of the U.S.
- Shoulder to Shoulder Campaign - Shoulder to Shoulder is a campaign for Minnesota parents of teens. They provide real advice for real parents about how to navigate through the teen years, and by connecting parents together to share stories and swap tricks of the parenting trade. Find out what is going on with other Minnesota parents of teens by visiting their website.
Información en español
- Communicating with Children about Sex: General Tips (PDF)
- Facts to Share with your Teens about... (PDF)
- HPV Vaccine Information
- MN Adolescent Sexual Health Report 2010 (PDF)
- Nickelodeon's Talking With Kids About Tough Issues (PDF)
- Parent-Child Communication: Promoting Sexually Health Youth (PDF)
- Parents as Sexuality Educators Bibliography (PDF)
- Research fact sheet (PDF)
- Talking With Your Child With Developmental Disabilities (PDF)
- Advocates for Youth - Tips for Talking about Contraceptives (PDF)
- Understanding Sexual Orientation (PDF)
- What Do Parents Think About Sex Ed? (PDF)